Friday, April 22, 2011

Good things will come


A friend once told me, do what you love and good things will come.  And it did.  Last week my boss told me something any employee would love to hear: a promotion.  He wants me to run my own P & L.  In truth, this is something I dreamed of doing until 3 years ago (until I lost my passion and inspiration, that is.  But that’s a different story).  Now that it’s here, I’m not too sure how I feel about it.  Scared, proud, happy, concerned, intrigued (why me?) all whirling in my head like a tornado.  All I can think of, what must I sacrifice for this? 

Mind you, if something like this fell on my lap three years ago, I would’ve said yes in a heartbeat!  Since my head is now in a different space, I have to ponder about it.  If I take it, this means bigger responsibility, longer hours and bigger stress.  Can I really afford it?  Can I afford not to?  After all, opportunity such as this doesn’t really come often.  Dilemma… dilemma… dilemma.

But after contemplating it for a couple of days, I started getting clarity.  Why is it a dilemma?  Yes, it will be hard.  Yes, it will mean more juggling.  More planning, organizing, strategizing, but then again… what’s new?  Besides, deep down inside, I know I’m saying yes already.  So last Monday, I braved myself to say yes (and was received with a big hug by my boss).

After all, like I always tell my daughters, you won’t know until you’ve tried it.  I shouldn’t worry so much about what if...  I should think positive and happy thoughts J  Still, it can’t be trying just for the sake of trying.  I must do justice to my decision.  It is about doing.  More importantly, it is about putting my passion into it.  If I can do that, I believe I will be able to keep all the balls on the air.  Sure, there will be times when one is about to drop, but with my focus, passion and perseverance, I believe, if I keep at it, more good things will come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment