Sunday, March 20, 2011

2.55


I never did understand the infatuation people have over branded bags.  Not until I came across the 2.55.  There is something about the Chanel 2.55 that makes it my most coveted bag.  Mind you, I am not a bag person.  I’m a shoe person.  But I do covet the 2.55.  Unlike most women, I don’t have a “I wanna have list,” yet I want the 2.55.  It is the only thing on my list.  Not the Birkin, not the Kelly, not the Speedy.  Only the 2.55.  Its classic and timeless style, sensibility of design and background narrative, all adds to the charm.  Perhaps madame Chanel's personality has something to do with it...  kindred spirits? 

Anyway, I promised myself, I will only get it when I am in a position where I can afford it.  Afford means, not asking my husband to get it for me.  Not especially saving for it.  Not paying for it in installments, or anything of that sort.  I wanted to get it when I have enough money and getting it won’t make a difference.  I realized I am probably sounding a bit cocky right now.  But that is not the intention.

For me there is nothing worse in forcing to buy something that you can’t afford.  Who are you kidding?  And don’t get me started on those ayams and their chanels…  we all know where they earn theirs…  horizontally.   Or worse, getting the fake ones no matter what KW it is… that is so not the point!!!  Seriously!!!

For me, among other things, the 2.55 is a symbol of accomplishment.  Therefore it has to be all mine, my hardwork, my accomplishment, my money and when I wear it I know that “I am there.” 

I finally got mine last year; Purchased in Paris, at Rue de Cambon, by my sister in law.  I only wished I went there myself.  When it arrived my heart went pitter patter.  I linger in opening the parcel.  Noticing the camellia on the shopping bag, untying the box, opening it, removing layers and layers of tissue eager for what lies under.  It did not disappoint.  I never thought I could be so emotional over a bag, but there I was teary eyed with a big grin and a feeling of total happiness and satisfaction… 

Now I get it.  I get why a bag can matters so much.  Every time I wear my 2.55, my heart flutters.  I feel proud and happy.  Not so much because I am sporting a Chanel bag, but because I am sporting MY Chanel bag.  Silly?  Perhaps.  Who cares?  I finally have my 2.55 on my terms.  Another accomplishment I can call my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment