Saturday, March 19, 2011

When is enough, is enough?

As a parent, I truly get the concept that we want the best for our kids… especially if we don’t have similar opportunities growing up…  However, I do think that there is a fine line between giving the best and overindulging.  Obviously, I aim for the former, but often guilty of the latter….  It is a dilemma of “but if I can, why can’t I do it?”  Well, the answer is because I know when I look at my girls, I am sometimes scared of what would become of them.  My biggest scare is that they will not grow up grounded.   That’s why I can’t.

It hits me one Saturday when I asked the kids where we should have lunch.  “Loewy or Ritz Carlton mom…  I like those places… I don’t want to go anywhere else!”  Ding ding ding ding….alarm bells ringing….  In all honesty I shouldn’t have been surprised, I mean, let’s face it, we live a pretty comfortable life, they go to a national plus school driven in a private car, they go on vacation at least once a year, abroad and domestic, we eat out in nice restaurants and surrounded by friends and family of similar nature.  And yet, I was taken aback.  I realized, something must be done before they become ungrateful spoiled brats who think life is served on a silver platter and not know the value of a dollar. 

That is why my husband and I now have a rule that we can either eat lunches and dinners at cheap places over the weekend, or eat at one nice expensive restaurant for a meal and the rest at home.  In other words, we cap our weekend dining out budget.  Plus we created a system that teaches them that they must work for everything they want in life.  Of course my husband and I provide them with food, shelter, clothing and education.  But beyond that, they must earn on their own.  Please don’t think of me as a sadistic parent.  But really…  I think I will serve them better if they are used to earn for themselves. 

Here is the system:  They have chores that they must do around the house, simple things like setting up the table, clearing their plates, water the plants, tidy up their toys, etc.  for each action they get a sticker (each equal to a few thousand rupiahs), at the end of the week we tally how many stickers they have, hence how much money they’ve earned that week.  Out of all they money they’ve earned, they must save 75% and can spend the rest.  So now, if they want something, they will ask me how many stickers is that mom, namely, how many chores I must do to get that.  Then they think twice of whether or not they really want that toy.

I do hope that this gives them good gounds and understanding of the value of a dollar, but will this be enough?

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a parent myself yet, but it sounds like you're on a right track.
    It's all about balance (isn't everything?) - you want your children to appreciate the value of money without making them feel deprived and become obsessed with it; teaching them how to save money without making them stingy in the process; letting them know that being financially responsible doesn't mean you should be cheap and that it's ok to enjoy life and splurge on occasions. At the end of the day as long as they know that purpose of the whole exercise is to make them a better person then you'll be fine. Good luck - not that you need it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what you did with the kids so they realize the value of money and hard work are great. I should try those with my kids.
    One thing I may add is teaching the kids 'when enough is enough.' I see a lot of the world current problems are mostly created by greed... obesity, environmental, financial crisis. I don't know what is the best way to teach this value but I think it's important. I am so happy if my kids go to toy store and when i offered them to buy some toys, they simply said i have enough toys mommy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. One of the best way I think is lead by example. If they see us consume exessively (i'm guilty for shoes....hahahaha), they will do the same. The other think I do with my kids, twice a year we do toys cleanup for charity. also on their birthdays/xmas, they dont get to keep all the toys they get. If they already have something similar that toy will go to charity. I know those may not be enough, but like you, I find comfort when I see my kids don't ask for things when they're in the store. and on the rare ocassion that they do, they know it will come from their own pockets :)

    ReplyDelete