Monday, March 21, 2011

It’s not rocket science… It just requires passion

When I was an AE starting in advertising, the first thing I did was read up on advertising (yeah…  like you can really do that).  Called it naïve enthusiasm, I was determined to find out everything about the industry and how I can do my job well, so that I can be promoted. Fast!!.  (I can’t possibly survive with the meager salary for long.  I need shoes damn it!)  The first book I read was Ogilvy on Advertising lent to me by my cousin.

He  said that account executives can be divided into custodians and contributors, where he compared the former to a waiter, shuffling orders from patrons in the dining room to the chef in the kitchen.  I decided, no way I was a waiter!  I was determined to follow his advice: be the best informed person on your client—on their industry, rise to the occasion, learn to make good presentations and be able to present, etc….etc… and his ultimate advice…  be ready to succeed your boss (I like this guy!!!).  I felt equipped. I knew exactly what to do. 

But boy… oh boy…  Dealing with egotistical creative and clients who are so brilliant they’re always right quickly gave me a jolt of reality.  After my first month on the job as an AE; in a small Agency; handling one of the most difficult client (just my luck); I have my own version of what an AE’s job is:
1.       My job is to make things happen
2.       Any fuck up is ultimately my fault 
It sucks! 
How did I end up with such huge responsibility?  Me…  a fresh grad with no experience? And did I mention the pay?  
It sucks!
And I was still often clueless of what to do…

In time I discovered none of it is rocket science….   Truth is, unless you really are building a rocket, is anything?  But knowing what to do is only half way there.  When I look back at my bosses or colleagues who are truly good at what they do, they have one thing in common:  the love for advertising and passion for the work.  They don’t settle.  They are truly working to raise the bar… their passion make all the difference.  They are my inspirations. 

I think in doing our work, we are often times blinded by the day to day grind that we forgot about this passion, that it separates the so so and the great.  I mean, we work 8 hours a day, or much more if you’re in advertising…  if we are only going through the motion, why bother?  Really!!!  Surely not because of the pay!!!    Don’t we owe it to ourselves to do something we’re passionate about?  Don’t we owe it to ourselves to make us great?

No comments:

Post a Comment