Monday, March 28, 2011

You are not your handbag…

You are your shoes though…
Ha  ha… just kidding! 
Nah… let’s get serious!  A woman is about her substance.  Not about how expensive her handbag is. 

I know a few people who’s all about the Birkin and that’s what they’re all about.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.  Woman like that pisses me off.  I feel that they just waste their life.  For me they completely put to waste the efforts put forth by our predecessor who fought for women’s right: Kartini, women’s suffrage, woman’s lib, pro-choice, etc. etc.  How can it be that their goal in life is to just look pretty with their Birkin???  AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

I wish with every fiber in my being that my daughters will not turn out anywhere close to that.  I believe it is my responsibility to ensure that from happening.  They need to understand that a woman has to have a sense of purpose beyond her own selfishness.  That we have the strength to move mountains (and to walk with 4 inch stilettoes for hours on end), that we are the driving force in our family, community and the world. 

Having said that, I am personally overwhelmed by this responsibility.  Where do I start?  How can I make a difference?  How can I inspire them?  Is it enough to do it just by being accomplished in home and work?  Somehow that doesn’t seem enough for me.  What about community contribution?  Or am I actually making it bigger and more complicated than it should be?  I mean, I look at Oprah, at how phenomenal she is and I can’t help feeling really small and useless.  It makes me wonder if I have what it takes to inspire my daughters.  Am I phenomenal enough? 

I know that I am far from those handbag ladies, but I am also not anywhere close to being truly phenomenal.  I know that I will struggle with this for a while, I just hope that it is going to be a short while J

2 comments:

  1. Tell me about it!! In my opinion Birkin is the most over-priced, impractical, useless bag i know (i can tell you my hell experience with 2 birkins - not mine.) And everyone brag as the best investment... whatever!!

    the way i handle this so far is to become non extremist... I don't want to worship it but i also don't want to be "anti-christ." Material things are just temporary and branded stuff is not a big deal - i exchanged my hermes bag with my friend for other brand which i find more practical, i buy non- branded bag for it's aesthetic or practicality but sometimes i still wear my hermes clutch. a bag is just a bag which is to serve your need, not the other way around -if someone's self worth is based on the number of birkin bags they have... that is just sad. . that's also why i also don;t want to go out of the way just to avoid using some branded bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put it very well. If our self worth is determine by the material things we have, then we are doomed!

    ReplyDelete