Friday, March 18, 2011

Big hands, big feet, ‘nough said! Or is it?

Well, not when he is also smart, responsible, supportive and sexy.

Am I simply blessed?  Or is it like Maria & Captain Von Trapp, I must’ve have done something good in my youth?   Lucky in love?  I think it is all of the above with a good amount of common sense….  After all, I did do my homework, contemplate, plus a ranking and weighted average comparing him and Mr. X.  Yup… I did do all that... Why chance it to faith or cupid, especially since my parents’ marriage ended so miserably.  One might call me a heartless bitch for abandoning Mr. X after a 6 year relationship.  I call it being selfish for my future. 

Methods aside, what I find in my husband is someone who not only accepts me as I am, more importantly encourages and supports me to be better; to reach my potential, without having to choose between self-actualization or family, even, when I have my moments of “can I?” 

Why is it then, when I see some people around me, they are not demanding, comparing and examining enough?   Yet, they dream of the happily ever after.  Are they delusional?   Or is love really is enough?  Obviously for me, love is hygiene factor.  I cringe about this when I think of my daughters.  Will they settle for only love and superficiality?  Will they interrogate the substance?  Will preparing them with confidence, self-worth, smarts and love for themselves make them selfish enough?

After all, since when is being nice more important than securing my happiness??  Aren’t we entitled to interrogate and explore before “I dos” are spoken?   Don’t we try on a pair of shoes before purchasing it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment